I don't know about you, but I love, Love, LOVE disaster movies. To me, a disaster movie can be a natural disaster, a monster tearing up the town, or people on a dangerous quest. Here are my top ten favorites in different categories.
1. Favorite Meteor Disaster: DEEP IMPACT. This movie has a lot going for it. There are several characters with their own stories going on. We have a pushy reporter, a teenager in love, and POTUS, among others. I loved following them and seeing who would live and who would die. It's usually easy for me to figure this out ahead of time, but not in this movie.
And the special effects were INCREDIBLE!! Do yourself a favor if you watch it and bring some tissues. It makes me cry every time.
Runner Up: Armageddon
2. Favorite Alien Disaster: INDEPENDENCE DAY. I can watch this again and again. SO good. Once again we follow a lot of characters with their own personal stories. Love Will Smith as a pilot fighting aliens, but Jeff Goldsworthy was my favorite. He played a funny 'cable guy.' LOL.
And let's not forget Randy Quaid as the nutty guy insisting he was abducted by aliens years ago.
There are just too many great characters in this movie. If you haven't watched it, do it. You'll thank me later.
The special effects are unbelievable. We get to see NY, LA, and the White House blown to bits.
Runner Up: Signs
3. Favorite Shark Disaster: THE MEG. I wasn't sure about this one, because I also really loved Deep Blue Sea. I went back and forth. What puts The Meg out there in the lead for me? There is a romance between the muscular male lead and the brilliant female lead. The woman's little daughter is a scene-stealer, for sure.
Also loved seeing Dwight from The Office as an eccentric billionaire.
Runner Up: Deep Blue Sea
4. Favorite Ocean Cruise Disaster: POSEIDON. I know, I know. You probably expected to hear me say Titanic. I thought about it, but Titanic spent SO much time showing off the ship. It took forever to get to the disaster.
The Poseidon has some great characters including the former mayor of NY City (played by Kurt Russell) and a sexy gambler (played by Josh Lucas) and a cute young couple. She is Russell's daughter and is hiding the fact she is engaged to her young man.
I just love watching people crawl through vents filling with water for some reason. I know, weird, huh?
Runner Up: Titanic
5. Favorite Monster Disaster: CLOVERFIELD. This is one of the most unique and awesome movies I have ever seen. They shoot the whole thing from the perspective of someone with a video camera. The characters are two brothers, their girlfriends, and closest friends at a party when the movie begins. A Godzilla-like monster attacks the city. Watching them try to get out of the city is so much fun.
Special effects are incredible.
Runner Up: Cloverfield Lane
6. Favorite Tornado Disaster: TWISTER. I first saw this in the theater. When we went inside, the skies were clear. When we came out, we were under a tornado watch. I kept expecting to see a twister coming at us through the darkness. That was scary, but the movie was great. I enjoyed it because of the relationship between the two leads. They are divorced. Well, he is trying to get a divorce, but she doesn't want to sign the papers. She's stalling. Before he knows it, he is chasing tornadoes with them.
Runner Up: Into the Storm
7. Favorite Climate Change Disaster: The Day After Tomorrow. This is a good one. It's a little preachy, but I enjoyed watching Dennis Quaid doing whatever he had to do to save his son who is trapped in NY City.
Runner Up: I don't have one for this category.
8. Favorite World Ending Disaster: 2012. Wow! Hard to believe it 2012 was so long ago. I remember watching this for the first time and wondering what the future would hold. John Cusack is in it, I think. Always love movies with him. His little girl on here is a cute scene-stealer. The movie has funny moments and some awesome special effects.
Runner Up: The Core
9. Favorite Earthquake Disaster: San Andreas. It doesn't get any better than watching Dwayne The Rock Johnson rescuing people. In this one, he is trying to get to San Francisco to save his daughter. And the fact he has his ex-wife with him makes this movie a lot of fun.
Runner Up: Earthquake
10. Favorite Zombie Disaster: World War Z. I don't like zombies, but this was good. Hey, Brad Pitt is in it. That alone made it worth watching.
Did I miss any awesome disaster movies that you love? Let me know in the comments.